The decision of the government to move some departments from Batavia to Bandung was a big impulse for the development of the city. First, in 1914, the War Department was transported, and later in 1920 the Department of Government buildings (Gedung Sate) followed.
Gedung Sate (Satay Building).
Because of the special decoration on the roof, with somewhat resemblance to with a stick of sate, the building was known as Gedung Sate. It was built with total cost 6 million gulden. This is the first building that constructed by reinforced concrete technology in Indonesia.
Gedung Sate Complex in 1925
In the beautiful shaped building-complex, by design of the architect J. Gerber (1921), both elements of western and eastern architecture were assimilated.You can see Gedung Sate is the only one big building around its area in 1925.
Gedung Sate View From Back
This photo was taken from Cimanuk street in the back of Gedung Sate.
The Front of Gedung Sate in 1925 (left) and 1999 (right)
These photos was taken from Diponegoro Street in the front of Gedung Sate.
Gedung Sate Complex and Gasibu Square
Gasibu Square, in the front of Gedung Sate, is the place for every official ceremonial of West Java Province Government.